Some comments have come up since my last post that I wanted to address. Mostly because they’re spot on.

I do realize that the swag is secondary to the project itself. I’m working on getting a good demo together, just with editing, saving to dropbox and copy/paste. These features are spread across a couple versions of the code, each focusing on a different aspect so that I could bounce between them with different stubs in place to mimic unfinished but necessary components. I’m working on combining them, and writing new stubs to mimic necessary pieces, and then I’ll have a demo to present. It’s likely that it won’t work on many configurations. As cross-platform as writing apps in the web-browser can be, there’s a surprising number of gotchas to be found in the implementations on the cards themselves. Yes, there is a reason Google uses a massive blacklist to restrict which cards it actually uses for WebGL.

Yeah. It’s a text-editor. They tend to be fairly monumental projects. I started this thinking that if I kept my scope limited, and tried to learn from existing projects (as well as reuse the massive set of vim macros) so that I could avoid reinventing the wheel. It was nice in theory, but I didn’t do a good job at sticking with that. The result is that my work was perhaps less than efficient.

As for releasing the code, I would like for it to be in a useful form by the time I release it. I used to think that integrating a core set of vim macros would be that mark. I’m now ready to greatly rethink that idea and push the mark towards something more easily reached.  At this point, I’m going to make sure that the graphics card code is ready for syntax highlighting. I’ll make a couple of simple examples, perhaps just keyword based, that show that as long as you can tell it what to color, that it can do the rest. I might find and integrate an existing javascript library for highlighting as an alternative to the macros that are used by vim.

Once those features are complete, I think the release of the code will be reasonable. I’ll still work on the project to either get that feature complete vim macro parser worked in… or to at least get some core set of alternatives that provide the same functionality. I really want this to be something that can be easily used alongside customized vim, with little to no effort required to move all of that customization over. There are various things that are near impossible, such as some of the filesystem integration that is in vim, but everything else… I still want that to work. It’s time to admit though that it might be best to put those into the list of features not required to get the code out.

As for the swag, I was trying to work through the weeks after I posted that last update, not knowing just how occupied my time would be with other things. I am working on collecting all the things that I need to be aware of to ask so that I can get everything made and sent appropriately. I’m hoping that the arrival will be a pleasant surprise for people.

blog comments powered by Disqus